Saturday, November 13, 2010

pillow week..day 7

After a long week of learning how to put a zipper in (it's really quite easy if you follow instructions...yes, I have a difficult time with that), I finally finished 3 pillows for pillow week.  It was going to be 7 and I was going to post very impressive photos...  but it's late and my house is a wreck and with limited clean surfaces for which to lay my pillows, you get to see some mediocre pillow pics at best.  No worries, I will show them again next week when I have completed the rest of them and they sit atop my daughter's bed in her (hopefully) finished bedroom. I should probably mention that the reason I decided to follow along with pillow week is that I thought it would be a great birthday gift for my eldest daughter Yasmeen.  She is turning 11 on the 22nd and I thought I would surprise her by actually finishing the bedroom decor that we started on 2 1/2 years ago (I know, I know..between diapers, breastfeeding, pregnancy, diapers, potty training and still breastfeeding...well you might know how it is).






Here they are!





This is the first one I did, then cut up and redid after trying twice to install a zipper to no avail.  I finally went with an envelope backing





So I did get a zipper done successfully on this one.  I figured simple stripes would be a nice break after all the pleating and ruffling.





The pompom trim is something I don't think I ever want to mess with on a pillow again.  I have to say that I wished that I could have made my pompoms and done something more like this one that Meg did at elsiemarley but there was no way with my week that I would have ever gotten it done.  Maybe next time.





This was my first attempt to piece fabric together, I think it turned out OK but I didn't get a great shot of it.  So now I am off to bed so that I can rest up for round two.  I promised my husband that I would have this part of the gift done by the end of pillow week (he doesn't know that it was over today so I'll just carry on till tomorrow is over ;)

8 comments:

  1. I love 'em! You did a great job and Yasmeen will be so happy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I bought a pillow like this at Pier 1 for $60.
    You rock Wendy!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, I am almost done with pillow #4 so I'll post that tonight (I hope;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog - your pillows look darling. Following you now.
    PS - I made the purse on sewing dork yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so great, and I bet they look even better in person. You did a wonderful job and Y is so lucky to have you as a mom!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Jenny, I finally finished the "circle" pillow today but I'm back to the machine tonight to get the fifth one done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. cookieandclaire, I am thrilled to have you following me! I LOVED the purse you made. I am really hoping that I can make something like it for my nieces by Christmas. Great idea. I feel honored that my first official follower that I don't know in real life is so very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So beautiful!!! Can't wait to see these.

    ReplyDelete