Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas is coming...

and I have been working round the clock over here to get all of the gifts made.  I have spent ample time looking over the wonderful things posted on Sew Mama Sew's Handmade Holidays and although I wanted to pick more, I finally decided on just a few things to mass produce for the kids and their friends/ cousins.  Next year I want to start earlier so that all of my gifts can be hand made.  I really am loving making them all but like always, I have bit off more than I can chew and it looks like some of these gifts will be arriving for Ukrainian Orthodox Christmas instead ; )  


So what have I made and what am I still working on?  Well these car rolls looked like they would be a piece of cake so I had to make them (six in total) but they took a lot longer than I thought they would.  Not sure if it was all the diaper changing, breast feeding, taxi driving, and cooking that needed to be done...never mind the cleaning ; ) but it ended up taking me 2 weeks to complete them all.  They came out OK but there are a lot of things that I will do differently if I do these again.  In fact, making these gave me the idea for an entire post that I would like to do on freezer paper stencils when Christmas is over and I have time to actually think and post again.  They are for my smallest children and my niece and nephews and because they are all five and under, I think they will forgive me the imperfections.


I have also been making a ton of rosette head bands that I found the idea for here  The tutorial is great but hand sewing was not the plan when I started to make all my gifts.  I saved the sewing part on 40 of the rosettes thinking I would knock them out during my Wednesday bible study and my Friday mom's group but when I got to Wednesday Bible study, I realized that I had forgotten my thimble.  Please note, DO NOT HAND SEW WITH OUT A THIMBLE unless you want a few small holes in a finger on your sewing hand.  It's Saturday night and I am still feeling the pain.  I am hoping to finish all of my rosette headbands tomorrow and post pics.  


I took a break tonight and went to my good friend and neighbor Jacqui's annual Christmas party tonight where I scored a Wal-Mart gift card in the gift exchange (wooooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!).  Needless to say, I have had one to many glasses of wine to take a great pic of the car rolls or the rosettes that I am working on but I plan to post them tomorrow (really I am going to do this this time).  So until tomorrow, have a good night and enjoy Christmas break!

No comments:

Post a Comment